Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Little Suns

I've had the Little Suns scarf in my queue for a long time.

Little Suns (mine ravelled here),
knit in Malabrigo Lace in Fucsia 093 and Knit Picks Gloss Lace in 24849 Black


I'd like to give a shout out to the designer, Emma Vining. I was having trouble with the first pink pattern row. It's all short rows, and I didn't end up with the correct number of stitches at the end of the row. This is knit length-wise, so there are 289 stitches in each row. I sent her a message on Ravelry asking clarification about the instructions, and she very promptly responded, set me right, and said nice, encouraging things. I started again, counted my stitches more carefully, and things went fine the second time. It's amazing to me that we have such a wonderful knitting community. I love that I was able to contact the designer directly and get help when I needed it.

This isn't a hard pattern, but it's not easy either. The short rows require close attention, and I wouldn't dream of stopping partway through the row. Since the rows are long, that required a bit of planning. It was easy to get in a rhythm though, and of the 12 row repeat, only 2 of them are short-row rows. The rest of the rows are very simple.

This didn't take the entire skein of either color. It's a good use of a couple odd skeins of laceweight you might have lying around. This pattern was originally published in The Knitter Issue 47, but it wasn't up on Ravelry for a long time. I wonder if that's why there are only 7 projects listed. Don't let the few projects discourage you; this is a great pattern!

1 comment:

  1. I like the pattern, but I like to throw my projects down a lot on a whim, so I think I'll just admire your's :)

    ReplyDelete