Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dye Job

Saturday morning my mom and I went to a handpainted yarn class at Sheep Street Fibers. She agreed to go to this class with me, and I'm going to a weaving class with her in August.

I loved it.

Nancy, the owner/teacher, called each of us the day before and asked us how much yarn we wanted to dye. Since I had no helpful answer, she asked what project I planned to do. I wasn't much help with that either. I'd never done any dyeing, so I was there for the experience, not because I was desperate to get a specific yarn. We decided on about 1000 yards of fingering weight. Mom chose sport weight yarn.

Mom dyed her yarn with red, deep yellow, and little hints of olive green. After it finished steaming, it looked like it had 5-6 shades of orange in addition to those colors. It was really stunning.

I think mine is also gorgeous.

I used green, blue, purple, yellow, and a touch of pink. It reminds me of an Impressionist watercolor. Well, the yarn version of it, anyway.

It took me over two hours to get the yarn into balls. I'd prefer not to say any more about that, except to note that I only threw a ball of yarn across the room once and there was no alcohol involved, which I think is admirable.

I'm not sure how deep this rabbit hole is going to go.

1 comment:

  1. Amazingly beautiful yarn! I love the colors you picked. Enjoy the ride, Alice! You never know what might happen next.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete